[opensuse-factory] flash-player with wmode in firefox
  • From: "Silviu Marin-Caea" <silviumc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 16:29:25 +0300
For the majority of the people reading the list, a short introduction:

Many sites nowadays have banners that roll over the text of the article. In
Linux you might have noticed that after the banners move away, they leave
blank space behind that cover the text, making it impossible to read the page.
Also, the same problem is the cause for site menus that open behind flash
animations instead of in front (example: http://www.adobe.com )

This problem is caused by a missing feature called wmode (windowless mode) in
the flash-player for linux.

Well, the latest flash-player 10 RC is supposed to have the feature.

There are a few problems though:

0. Flash is still 32 bit. So, to make it work on x86_64, it needs 32 bit
libraries of stuff, besides the nspluginwrapper hack
Do this:
zypper in mozilla-nss-32bit

1. Flash depends on libcurl.so.3. This can be solved by installing
libcurl4-32bit ("zypper in libcurl4-32bit") and making a symlink
cd /usr/lib/
ln -s libcurl.so.4.1.0 libcurl.so.3

2. Firefox 3.0.1 has a bug that crashes it when running with flash 10rc.
Firefox 3.0.3 is supposed to have that bug fixed

If you want to try it, get Flash10rc here:
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html
Put libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib/browser-plugins/
Run as root (one line):
nspluginwrappper --install --verbose /usr/lib/browser-
plugins/libflashplayer.so

Here it's a small demo for the wmode feature.
http://www.communitymx.com/content/source/E5141/wmodetrans.htm
Unfortunately, it still doesn't work well with Firefox 3.0.3 from Factory. I
don't know why. At least site menus open in front of flash.
I think I'll try Firefox nightly builds (Minefield).

I think that 11.1 should be released with Flash10, because wmode is an
important, functional feature for browsing the web. We should be prepared in
case they release flash10 before we freeze, or include the latest RC.