Re: [opensuse-factory] Discussion about Java versions in 11.1
  • From: Bryen <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 13:30:49 -0500
On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 13:36 -0400, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
Martin Schlander escribió:

I suggest to include Sun Java 1.5 in the non-oss repo for 11.1. And to make
this repo available for testing before release.

I suggest you to talk your bank customer service, I guess they are not
operating your accounts for free ;-)

I certainly endorse the idea of using an open software altnernative
whenever reasonably possible.

But to point the finger at others is to simply pass the buck. And when
there appears to be a number of institutions which do not provide a
service that is compatible with openJDK, we end up alienating portions
of our userbase rather than the institution itself.

There are many reasons why a banking institution may not have
successfully transitioned to a more compatibile platform. Some of the
reasons may be in fact downright boneheaded on their part. Regardless,
businesses don't always turn on a dime when it comes to technology and I
would suspect in this financial climate we're in, banking institutions
would be less responsive to spending money to make changes when these
days, getting money is like squeezing blood from a stone.

I'd like to see a more transitional approach to openJDK so users don't
get caught in the middle. For every one user here on the list, there
are thousands of openSUSE downloaders out there who don't even
participate on such lists to be aware of the changes in place and how to
remedy it if it impacts them.

Maybe you do have an effective transitional approach in mind, but it
doesn't seem to be clearly defined to the community as this thread is
not the first time I've heard of this issue in recent days from the
community. Perhaps someone could explain it more clearly and alleviate
the concerns some users here have, rather than passing the buck onto
institutions which are often faceless and far less open than we are in
this community.

--
Bryen Yunashko
Proud 2008 Candidate for openSUSE Board