Re: [opensuse-factory] non-oss software on our media?
  • From: Michael Loeffler <michl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 23:51:12 +0200
On Saturday 27 September 2008, Martin Schlander wrote:
Fredag 26 september 2008 16:09:58 skrev Michael Loeffler:
we discussed already once [1] the situation with proprietary software on
our distribution. We agreed on the list and in an IRC project meeting
that it's not nice but is very convenient for many users and should stay
therefor on media.

I'm opening the discussion again as with that we never will achieve a
user friendly licence as already copying of our software on DVD is not
allowed and even some mirrors have an issue with this licence. We receive
on a regular base inquiries in this regards and bad press [2].

What will happen to the pre-release license? Most of the fuss was about
that one afaicr.
We're working on getting one licence for pre-release and released version. And
want to have it easy to understand and short.
With the whole EULA thing we need to stay realistic and see that Novell is a
US based company and for Novell different requirments exists than e.g. for a
company based on the Isle of Man.

*Ship any media of openSUSE with open source software and proprietary
software which allows redistribution (eg. firmware), for details [3].

I don't think we should add more proprietary stuff to the livecd, even if
it does allow redistribution - wlan firmwarez is acceptable, but adding
anything proprietary beyond that is a bad idea. Having a free software
friendly media is important.

*Add during installation automatically an online repo with the non-OSS
stuff and install per default flashplayer (5MB) and the fluendo plug-in
(210K) for mp3.

As others have mentioned we certainly need a plan b for when this fails due
to missing network during install.

- survey of usage of proprietary[4] software showed that only flashplayer
and acroread really are used by a majority of users (Java is not an issue
anymore as we ship with 11.1 openJDK)

11.1b1 with openjdk doesn't support the security stuff of my home bank -
and thus it won't work for at least half of the Danish population as most
banks here use the same system - so it's very much an issue.

I think other countries use similar systems too.

--
Michael Löffler, Product Management
Email: michl@xxxxxxx