Re: [opensuse-factory] non-oss software on our media?
  • From: Stephan Binner <stbinner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 09:50:30 +0200
On Friday 26 September 2008 23:48:49 Alberto Passalacqua wrote:

The Novell brands don't prevent redistribution. They only don't allow you
to change the product to something totally different and still call it
OK. But the point of the licence where this is discussed was the one at
the centre of the discussion on the "bad press" I think.

I don't think so, please read the linked LWN story. It was about the *license
of a development release* including things like "prohibits redistribution for
compensation and use in a production environment".

I don't buy the story of mirrors having problems, because they mirror
exactly the same distributions that offer practically everything restricted.

So we want the media easier to be redistributed (as if now someone
doesn't do that already...they even sell it online) on one hand to reach

Some mirrors and merchants violating current licenses is no reason that should
make us stop to simplify our license. :-)

Bye,
Steve