Re: [opensuse-factory] Metadiscussion about KDE 4 thread
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 16:52:35 +0200 (CEST)

The Monday 2008-09-08 at 14:44 +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

Reading Felix-Nicolai's blog post, I'd like to get your input on the
following statement from him:

I believe that openSUSE is supposed to be a community based and
community driven product. While many devs work for Novell and do great
work, openSUSE does also depend on its many users. So they should get a
hear. It is not OK to only raise this issue on a factory mailinglist - a
mailinglist a regular user will never see.

* factory was setup as list for future development of the openSUSE
distribution. Why is that not working?

Because only users that do some betatesting participate on this list, while many other users are interested in what the distro is going to have, without actually testing it in advance (for whatever reasons).

Where would you expect to
have general discussion about the direction of the distribution?

I'm not sure... :-?

* openSUSE is community based and community driven - but we have Novell
engineers doing engineering work with limited time and resources.

Community means not only discussion but also contribution - and I've
heard many requests about KDE3 and KDE4 but so far only saw Carlos
stepping up and saying "KDE3 is so important for me that I create a
KDE3 LiveCD for openSUSE 11.0".

Er... that wasn't me. I was (am) certainly interested, and I investigated the matter, but it wasn't me who made that CD.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.