Re: [opensuse-factory] The KDE way for openSUSE 11.1
  • From: Carlos Goncalves <cgoncalves@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 02:26:02 +0100
On Friday 29 August 2008 19:06:11 Christoph Thiel wrote:
On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 06:53:30PM +0100, Carlos Goncalves wrote:
Pros:
- openSUSE provides KDE3
- less "trash" (packages) installed by default

Do you have a list of packages that you think could be left out? ;) I'm
definitely interested in suggestions here!

I think you are asking it with the intention of reducing the amount of
packages on LiveCDs so the image could fit in a CD, right? :-) It was not what
I was referring to, sorry.

I was comparing the amount of packages that DVD installs versus CD. I'm
against installation of lots of packages by default if the majority of users
won't never need/use them. I rather like have a very very clean system with
the basic apps (the ones KDE{3,4} LiveCD has basically serves most users needs
I think) plus a few others required for special needs, non-oss codecs and
wireless firmwares.

I would love to point some "unneeded" packages out but I don't use DVDs
anymore to install openSUSE since 10.3, though I might try it if you want my
personal opinion.

Summarising: DVD -> select KDE3/KDE4 -> install packages as it had been from a
LiveCD + non-oss codecs and wireless firmwares. Just that.

--
Regards,
Carlos Goncalves