Re: [opensuse-factory] Contrib repository
  • From: Dirk Müller <dmueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 11:53:37 +0200
On Thursday 21 August 2008, Michal Marek wrote:

Contrib is specifically NOT going to provide backports, but rather serve
as an extension to Factory.

There is use for both: "Themed" projects, providing latest and greatest
packages for a wide range of distributions, "Contrib", as an extension
to Factory and 11.1,2,3... in the future, providing add-ons only, and
not updating after the distro is released.

I understand the difference now. I am not sure however that it needs a solution
in the OBS. The package manager could for example highlight that a certain
repository wants to upgrade a "lib*" package that is also required by other
packages not provided by the same repository, so that inconsistencies could
happen.

Another solution would be to provide a "addon:" toplevel namespacet that must
not replace any non-leaf package of a distro. I'm not sure if it is worth it,
often enough it is quite painful to keep current packages compiling if you're
not allowed to upgrade libraries the package depends on.

Greetings,
Dirk