Re: [opensuse-factory] Contrib repository
  • From: "Alexey Eremenko" <al4321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 14:21:13 +0300
Richard wrote:
First of all (I didn't see this mentioned yet) I think Contrib
should be versioned (thus, become openSUSE_11.1:/Contrib at the
point openSUSE_11.1 branches).

It as well makes sense to stage Contrib (I would like this for Factory,
too, but it's probably easiest to try with Contrib first). If you
are familiar with the Debian way then you know there is the unstable
and the testing repositories. So there should be something like
Contrib:/Unstable (feel free to pick a more suitable name) where
a new package (version) should reside for some time before it is
migrated to the main Contrib repository. Criterias ideally would be
"zero bugs of severity greater than normal" - but of course this
would require proper bugzilla integration (or completely manual
migration).

Staging Contrib helps getting more peer review and avoids breaking
Contrib itself. At the point the next openSUSE is freezed development
can continue in the unstable branch but only critical fixes are
migrated to Contrib.

Versioning Contrib of course immediately asks for an official
"Backports" repository with the latest-and-greatest for older
openSUSE releases. But I strongly suggest to _not_ make Contrib
this Backports itself.

"backports" aren't likely to be not provided by contrib, due to human
resource limitations.

Speaking about stable/unstable trees:
-I think that stable must have braches, yes, (contrib-stable-11.1,
contrib-stable-11.2, etc...) - but only for future releases, not
backports.
Reason is simple: We will find BETA-testers for 11.1/11.2, but
unlikely to find enough testers for packages for 10.2.

-unstable: I prefer this branch should exists in user's OBS, but if
there are volunteers,
it could be part of contrib. Because it is unstable, I don't think it
needs branching.

For now: Richard and Yaloki asked for contrib-unstable branch. Let's discuss it.
What is the advantage of contrib-unstable over users OBS anyway ?

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"