Re: [opensuse-factory] Contrib repository
  • From: Richard Guenther <rguenther@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:29:40 +0200 (CEST)
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx> writes:

Andreas Jaeger wrote:
Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
We currently have two reviews: The one whether a package goes in, the
other whether an update to a package is ok. The question is whether we
want both of these reviews, or whether we have only an initial review
and then the maintainer of the package is allowed to update is until we
freeze the repository...

Freeze = release of openSUSE X.Y? I think we need both reviews,

Yes, that's what I meant with freeze.

First of all (I didn't see this mentioned yet) I think Contrib
should be versioned (thus, become openSUSE_11.1:/Contrib at the
point openSUSE_11.1 branches).

It as well makes sense to stage Contrib (I would like this for Factory,
too, but it's probably easiest to try with Contrib first). If you
are familiar with the Debian way then you know there is the unstable
and the testing repositories. So there should be something like
Contrib:/Unstable (feel free to pick a more suitable name) where
a new package (version) should reside for some time before it is
migrated to the main Contrib repository. Criterias ideally would be
"zero bugs of severity greater than normal" - but of course this
would require proper bugzilla integration (or completely manual
migration).

Staging Contrib helps getting more peer review and avoids breaking
Contrib itself. At the point the next openSUSE is freezed development
can continue in the unstable branch but only critical fixes are
migrated to Contrib.

Versioning Contrib of course immediately asks for an official
"Backports" repository with the latest-and-greatest for older
openSUSE releases. But I strongly suggest to _not_ make Contrib
this Backports itself.

Richard.