RE: [opensuse-factory] Updating in general ?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:35:34 +0200 (CEST)

The Wednesday 2008-06-18 at 13:25 +0200, Casual J. Programmer wrote:

Boot the 11.0 dvd, follow the instructions. When asked, say you want to
upgrade an existing system.

Advice #1: full backup first.
Advice #2: full backup first.

(said by one that always upgrades ;-) )

Fully agreed.

Advice #3: Don't upgrade but clean install after having followed advice #1
and #2.

Said by another one that used to upgrade and wasted a lot of time to try and
fix a broken installation afterwards.

Nay!

Do full backup, attempt upgrade.
If it fails, then either a) restore backup, attempt again knowing why
it failed and how to avoid it, or b) install fresh.

:-P

I only have had one failed upgrade, from 7.3 to 8.1. Upgrades actually save me time, my setup is complex. For other people (less experienced or with simpler setups) a fresh install is advisable.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.