Re: [opensuse-factory] Partitioning based on type of installation
  • From: Volker Kuhlmann <list0570@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 09:28:31 +1200
On Thu 05 Jun 2008 23:52:06 NZST +1200, Lukas Ocilka wrote:

And that's also why I'd rather like to see a lot of different use-cases and
proposals. Then we could merge them into a sequence of wizard dialogs where
you could select from listed options according to your preferences.

In almost 10 years of using SUSE I have yet to be able to do a new
installation (which I usually do to get rid of old crud) on an already
partitioned hard disk, without losing most of my data to the bit bucket.
I always have to go right down into expert partitioning to throw the
useless yast proposals away, which always move partition boundaries thus
hosing my disk. IIRC often the proposal didn't even manage to reuse the
existing swap partition (which can be shared between multiple Linux
installaions). There is no simple "new installation on which existing
partition".

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann is list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/ Please do not CC list postings to me.