Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: gimp-gap
  • From: Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 19:00:30 +0200
Kai Ponte wrote:
On Tuesday 03 June 2008 04:13:36 pm Nathan Moschkin wrote:
Stanislav Brabec wrote:
Stanislav Brabec wrote:

I have just reviewed this package. It contains a lot of patent
encumbered code.

Well ... would it be possible to build a package that would allow users
to build gap themselves with relative ease if they wanted the codecs
included?

I mean, the editing features are very key .... even for simple GIF and
motion JPG animations... motion JPG sounds like it would be a very
powerful tool, anyway, as I use animations to help people build websites.

You'd be better off asking someone like Pascal (Guru) or one of the other
community repository members...

http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_Package_Repositories

I xposted this to the opensuse list since it probably will get more attention
there.

I already did a successful build of patent-free gimp-gap. I had to
disable mjpeg as well, as this code is deeply in ffmpeg and it would
take a lot of time to include its support there.

I'll submit it to Factory (after 11.0) and to some OBS repository, where
gimp resides.

However I did not care about configuring of extra features of bundled
ffmpeg. It is an old version (2005) and I would expect problems when you
will try to enable optional features. Porting to new ffmpeg would be
problematic as well, as ffmpeg changed its API several times.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer