Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE updater broken
  • From: "Casual J. Programmer" <casualprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 19:12:20 +0200

If it is still default I keep whining :(
All new users being automatically promoted to root from day one sounds
bad IMHO I can't help it.

Promoted to root? In what way?
It is just the password that is the same.
Users have no greater rights then before.

OK. So I won't give root privileges to a user. Just the root password?
The user is a user that has root password. What does that make him/her?

The option is useful for single user machines where user and root is the same
person, so nothing to hide or give. The default is intended for beginners.

Experienced users change much more during installation and uncheck one option
should not generate so much noise (there was large thread about this).

This is sheer "Ubuntu Think", especially beginning users should be
guided towards security awareness, rather than to complete lack of it.

It's extremely easy to become root by accident, just typing the password
you are used to, in the process typing some commands you utterly regret
as soon as you have pressed enter.

If "Ubuntu Think" is the way openSUSE is headed, we should drop
installing AppArmor and other security measures by default. Waste of
resources and disk space.

See also Bug 381420 and Bug 371811 for reference. I think we can't
protect a user ( especially a beginner ) from jeopardizing his
installation, but we should surely make him aware of the consequences
instead of removing security measures by default.

Casual

P.S. Nobody would remove all traffic lights, so it becomes easier for
children to cross the street..