Re: [opensuse-factory] UPdating factory [Was: libzypp.so.418()(64bit)missing..]
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 16:41:01 +0200 (CEST)

The Tuesday 2008-05-13 at 14:09 +0200, Dominique Leuenberger wrote:

If your network is very fast, your chances of getting caught diminish. My
minimal download time is 4 hours, at maximun speed and with no problems,
and not considering the install time of each packages; so in fact it gets
closer to 6..8 hours. Yesterday I was at it more than 12 hours and failed.

I have a 4mbit connection to the network and downloading factory takes
reasonable a few hours...

If in those few hours the repo changes, chances are the update will fail.

I simply can not upgrade during the week, I have to wait till saturday or
more.

I don't know what could be done, but as it is, I simply can't update.

well: I'm not sure actually if it's a good idea for everybody to stay with the whole stack at Factory at any time. In your case, why not pick some alpha/beta/rc snapshots and use those, and only update packages of particular interest for you from Factory? Maybe something you reported a bug during a beta and want to see if those got fixed?

The snapshots are already old.

Plus, that means burning a dvd, installing fresh several times, etc. What I'm doing is "zypper dup" inside a chroot in 10.3, which allows me to continue working during the several hours of the process.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.