[opensuse-factory] Again: Default bittorrent client
  • From: Christian Jäger <christian.jaeger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 03:16:36 +0200
Hello all,

I think the decision to make Monsoon the default bittorrent client for
11.0 might have been a little rushed.

True, it looks nice; true, its developer is very forthcoming.

But it seems far from really usable:

- It hogs memory like nobody's business: ATM I'm downloading the
openSUSE beta 2 DVD with it and it uses 54,3 MBs RAM and 414.8(!) MBs of
SWAP; CPU usage averages around 25%. This is far, far above what
Transmission uses!
- Once running, it won't accept torrent-files via Firefox. You have to
download the torrent-file and add it to the queue manually!

IMHO those two are showstoppers for Monsoon in 11.0. After they've been
fixed, I wouldn't mind using Monsoon, but can this be done reliably
until the release date for 11.0 final?

Please let's simply get back to the working solution, i.e. Transmission
and wait till Monsoon has matured.

Greets,
Chris