Re: [opensuse-factory] Getting errors "Root privileges are required" and "su returned with an error"
  • From: "Doctor Who" <whodoctor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 19:58:38 -0400
On 4/28/08, Dave Plater <davejplater@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dave Plater wrote:
Robert Kaiser wrote:

Doctor Who wrote:

Well, right now I cannot even do simple things like change the clock
on the system because of the apparent permissions error. I can get
openSUSE updater to show me all available updates, but i cannot update
either because of this issue.

I have the same problem with (almost?) everything that needs root privs
in KDE, I get "su returned with an error" instead of the usual window for
entering the root password. Same if I go to "execute" in the KDE menu and
try launching anything via kdesu.
I've been following Factory with frequent updates and this has been
happening for some time now. I thought it might be a general failure that
would be fixed soon, but it seems to persist atm.
BTW, I just wondered if having both KDE3 and KDE4 installed might be the
problem, but "which kdesu" from a console tells me it uses the KDE3 one,
which should be correct (I'm running KDE3 here until KDE4 is mature enough
to deal with me).

Robert Kaiser

Found the message :-
I force uninstalled sudo, deleted all trace
of sudoers and then reinstalled.
Only problem I have now is although kdesu works it gives a sorry panel
saying "KDEInit could not launch 'kdesu'", so it's obviously trying to
launch two instances.

To force the uninstall I used rpm -e --nodeps sudothattouhaveinstalled.rpm
because yast wanted to remove too many packages or something, my memory is
foggy, then I removed all of the associated sudo files (see man sudo). After
this simply reinstall either with zypper or rpm. su still works in console.
The sorry panel problem remained until the next kde3 update.
Hope this helps

Regards
Dave P

Thanks...that appeared to do it for me.