Re: [opensuse-factory] request for comments: disable ssh daemon by default
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 14:45:13 +0200
Druid wrote:

I will, once again, show a use case for a problem you say supposedly
doesnt exist. You are in a public hotspot and then you are in a lan
and another laptop could bruteforce the ssh. There you have it, a lan
in which you dont trust the other peers.

I apologise for leaving out the word "trusted" in my earlier posting
about not needing a firewall when you're on a LAN. Obviously, if your
computer is connected to any kind of _untrusted_ network, you should be
running a firewall.

We are talking about a problem that _only_ becomes a problem after the
user has _disabled_ the firewall. If you're brave or stupid enough to
do that when your machine is connected to an untrusted network, you're
beyond help. IMHO.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich