Re: [opensuse-factory] Support of new AMD 780G Chipset
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 21:17:15 -0700
On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 09:50:14AM -0400, Ken Schneider wrote:
Greg KH pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 11:34:23PM -0400, Ken Schneider wrote:
Greg KH pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 07:31:40PM -0400, Andreas van dem Helge wrote:
Nothing. Can not install and boot into a desktop with either 10.3, 11
A2 or A3. RAID driver isn't detected at all in any version.
software raid? You should never use hardware raid, it just is a bad
idea for so many reasons...
WHAT! You do realize that many people use quite reliable hardware raid
controllers don't you? To blatantly tell someone that hardware raid is
bad is pure hogwash, especially coming from a kernel developer. There are
very reliable SATA and SCSI controllers available that provide hardware
raid without problems.
And I recommend that you, and everyone else, avoid them like the plague
for the reasons pointed out by others already.

And I recommend that you first back up your claim with hard evidence. Until
you do it is only your opinion.

{sigh}

I have never said it is anything _but_ my opinion.

Software RAID can never be faster than "true" hardware RAID, it can
only be as fast as the drives used.

Mind explaining how hardware raid can be faster than the drives used?

And I never said it would be "faster", only more stable and actually
supported by the kernel community, and probably work out much better in
the end.

If you don't want to believe this, fine, I'm not keeping you from going
out and spending a lot of money on hardware that doesn't really offer up
much benifit, it's your time and data :)

That's like saying a software modem is better than a hardware modem.

Apples to oranges? No comparison, sorry.

Linux does very good, and much faster, software raid today just fine, if
you need RAID, stick with that.

Is this the part of the kernel you support and therefore have a biased
opinion?

No, but I know the people who do support this portion of the kernel, and
share their biased opinion because I think they know what they are
talking about.

let's end this thread please, it is pretty much off-topic now.

thanks,

greg k-h