Re: [opensuse-factory] Feature request: open-vm-tools as part of the release
  • From: Pavol Rusnak <prusnak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:19:25 +0100
Stephan Kulow wrote:
Not really, no. Placing it here allows others to support or object
the request. And if it makes sense, there are enough developers subscribed
to put it to work :)

Stephan: I just submitted open-vm-tools to STABLE. According to
reception on this (and other lists), it would be good idea to push this
package into distribution. Dominique also suggested that it should be
installed (with correct kernel module) automagically when YaST detects
VMware host. I talked to YaST folks and we could use following methods:

a) package supplements PCI ID of VMware hardware, but this solution is
not clean and requires increased maintenance
b) use HAL to detect VMware hardware - much cleaner
- for example, YaST detects XFS partitions and if it founds any,
package xfsprogs is installed

We can install packages like virtualbox-ose-guest-tools in similar fashion.

PS: Subpackage vmware-kmp contains modules for vmblock, vmhgfs,
vmmemctl, vmsync and vmxnet. We have some of these in autobuild*, so I'm
CCing maintainers so they can review newly created package and
eventually drop the old ones, if they found them obsoleted. Ann, Jiri I
can add you as package co-maintainers in BuildService if you are interested.

*
vmware-toolsmods - Ann Davis
vmware-vmxnet - Jiri Slaby
vmware-wkstnmods - Ann Davis