Re: [opensuse-factory] Call for test: open-vm-tools in OBS
  • From: Sunny <sloncho@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 07:22:55 -0600
On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Dominique Leuenberger
<Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

They can be found at http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/dimstar
and are currently built for:
openSUSE 10.3 stock
openSUSE 10.3 updated
openSUSE Factory (for fActory, i586 fails to compile because of
inconsistency within BS... for the moment, the kernel-source matching the
kernel-syms can not be found).

There are two things to be installed in your VM:
vmware-kmp-<kernelflavour> and open-vm-tools

The KMP contains 5 kernel modules:
vmblock
vmhgfs
mvmemctl
vmsync
vmxnet

open-vm-tools installs the service vmware-guest (get's automatically
activated) and the toolbox. In my tests, the mouse was after installation
freely going in and out the VM (normally one of the easiest indices that the
VM tools work), I could mount a shared host (mount.vmhgfs .host:/test /mnt)
and access it and the clipboard was shared between host and guest...

so now I have to ask you fellows to help me improve it, to make it undergo a
lot of testing so we can convince coolo that he wants to include this package
in the upcoming alphas and betas and finals of openSUSE (ups... we still
don't have the procedures in place for community maintained packages).

so for now that's it from my side... any sort of comment is highly
appreciated.

Hi Dominique,
Thanks a bunch. Unfortunately, right now I have only factory in VM, so
I can not test what you did. Maybe later today or tomorrow I'll
install 10.3 to see how it works. Meanwhile - some questions and
suggestions:
1. Does the rpm installs the user scripts (power-off, reboot, etc.) in
a proper locations (/etc/xxx)
2. As you know, vmware-config-tools.pl (supplied with the "original"
vm tools), besides that builds the modules, also makes changes in
xorg.conf, so the resolution of the screen can me "auto" adjusted, if
you resize the VM window. Do you plan this? I.e. maybe this is more
for the upstream devs, if they decide to put this functionality in the
"tools" application itself - I think it belongs there. Or I guess, it
does not hurt if the post-install script of the rpm you build just
modifies the xorg file with the highest possible resolution.

Cheers, and thanks again.

Sunny

--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Even the most advanced equipment in the hands of the ignorant is just
a pile of scrap.