[opensuse-factory] Call for test: open-vm-tools in OBS
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 16:52:48 +0100
Hello!

Recently, somebody (Sunny) requested some RPMs offering the open-vm-tools in
our nice distribution [0]. I opted to create some packages and have a look into
this.

So here I am, just a few days later with a working (as for me, my house did not
burn down) example of those packages.

They can be found at http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/dimstar
and are currently built for:
openSUSE 10.3 stock
openSUSE 10.3 updated
openSUSE Factory (for fActory, i586 fails to compile because of inconsistency
within BS... for the moment, the kernel-source matching the kernel-syms can not
be found).

There are two things to be installed in your VM:
vmware-kmp-<kernelflavour> and open-vm-tools

The KMP contains 5 kernel modules:
vmblock
vmhgfs
mvmemctl
vmsync
vmxnet

open-vm-tools installs the service vmware-guest (get's automatically activated)
and the toolbox. In my tests, the mouse was after installation freely going in
and out the VM (normally one of the easiest indices that the VM tools work), I
could mount a shared host (mount.vmhgfs .host:/test /mnt) and access it and the
clipboard was shared between host and guest...

so now I have to ask you fellows to help me improve it, to make it undergo a
lot of testing so we can convince coolo that he wants to include this package
in the upcoming alphas and betas and finals of openSUSE (ups... we still don't
have the procedures in place for community maintained packages).

so for now that's it from my side... any sort of comment is highly appreciated.

Have a good time,
Dominique

[0] http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2008-03/msg00068.html