Re: [opensuse-factory] Curl (and thus zypper) and proxy auto configuration scripts
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 17:02:40 +0100
On 3/6/2008 at 17:54, Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
Can such a PAC also be used by curl? So far I did not find anything that
seems to work

There was some discussion (*) about making (lib)curl use a library
called libproxy that can make use of pac files among other fancy stuff,
but there has been no outcome so far...

(in fact it might be a bit to complex for curl, as a PAC is a JS file...
and thus ajavascript engine would be required).

... partly for this reason.

(*) http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2007-12/index.html#191
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2007-12/index.html#245

Thanks... very interesting to read...

so as go a bit through the thread, the basic conclusion (as also stated in [0]
is, that applications should do the magic and not rely on libcurl doing it...
well... it's a library and can thus be linked as an optional feature to several
things like zypper and the like.

I see the point of the authors of libcurl, not willing to just have libcurl act
different and start to detect settings that were not here... but then, the best
approach there would be to have a setting in the curl config, telling that it
should be used.. does not sound that fancy... anyhow, libproxy would need some
configuration as well, like I have to define in our setup where the PAC file is
(we do not (yet) distribute it via DHCP)

I'll read a bit more...

Dominique