Re: [opensuse-factory] Curl (and thus zypper) and proxy auto configuration scripts
  • From: "Dr. Peter Poeml" <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 16:50:48 +0100
On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 04:16:54 +0100, Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
Hello,

in our company, for Internet Explorer, Firefox and the like, we have
setup a proxy autoconfiguration script (proxy.pac) to have centralized
management of how browsers connect and what proxy they use, including
possible exception rules.

Can such a PAC also be used by curl? So far I did not find anything
that seems to work (in fact it might be a bit to complex for curl, as
a PAC is a JS file... and thus ajavascript engine would be required).

But it would be very handy to have this feature.. and maybe I'm just
missing out on how to set things up? Otherwise: do you think an
enhancement request has any value to get added at a future point?

Dominique

Yes, that would be an interesting feature. Linux is a bit lacking here.
But it can be very convienient because the client could automatically
know thata proxy.pac rules file exists, and the info as such can already
be propagated by the DHCP client. As you say, it would requite a
javascript interpreter, but it would be useful. A minimalistic approach
might do.

Peter

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Research & Development