Re: [opensuse-factory] Upper Limit RAM?
  • From: Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 18:44:19 +0100
On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 15:23 +0000, Stefan Kunze wrote:
Is there an Upper Limit for RAM in Opensuse? I just had a customer with
Opensuse 10.3 and 64 GB ! of RAM. he reported a extremely slow performance.
The computer used Xeon processsors (i don't know the exact motherboard) and a
single hard drive ( 2 GB Swap Partition). Its of course an 64-bit
Architecture.

The memory setup was 16 Slot x 4 GB module. Is there any blatant reason
(other then too much RAM) for this.
I assume that it will be maybe a topic for the future , thats why i am asking
over the factory list?

Any help is appreciated.

Well,

My dual-xeon DL385-G5 with 24GB performs exactly the same as an DL360
with "only" 8GB. same speed, same performance. It can only hold much
more DOM-u systems. (And *IF* it gets down hard, a lot of systems go
down with it...)
Only slow part of it is during mem-check in the bios ;-)

So if any boundry/bottleneck exist, its beyond 24GB.
(perhaps i should pester our purchase department again, system can hold
128GB)