Re: [opensuse-factory] YaST Installer proposal
  • From: Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 12:36:03 +0100
In this day and age of larger drives everywhere from the data center to
the home user, wouldn't it be a good idea if we had some kind of message
between 1st phase and 2nd phase where it says something like "Depending
on the size of your hard drive, this may take a while." before going
into the second phase of installation?

In my opinion, the startup screen is fine unless there is some fsck.ext3
call (usually every 60 days or so? or in case of wrong shutdown/power
failure...).

Your proposal "Depending on the size of your hard drive, this may take a
while." is technically correct but it doesn't provide the information
user needs not to panic.

My proposal is to detect that there is some fsck run (or another delay
in starting the system (more than ... hmm ... 20 seconds?)) and either
switch the splash off or provide some progress right in the splash.

Bye
L.

--

Lukas Ocilka, YaST Developer (xn--luk-gla45d)
Ano, ano. Moudry rozkaz. Sam jsem nemel v tech gratulacich jasno.

< Previous Next >