Re: [opensuse-factory] Experience of switching to Factory from Ubuntu
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:44:12 +0100
On 2/28/2008 at 14:34, Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 27. Februar 2008 schrieb Dirk Mueller:

when I update openSUSE with "zypper dup", I have to download nearly 1GB
of packages. I seriously doubt that all of them were updated. It takes
me hours to get all updates... (slow DSL line)

use deltarpms. I think it is actually a bug that we don't produce them for
factory distribution - I don't know why actually.

deltarpms are bad for factory users as they require metadata updates _after_
the factory tree is synced out. It would take _even_ longer to get to a new
factory snapshot being online.

But we have drpmsync data next to factory, unfortunately no-one is using
them.
And the question is how can we improve that? Let me ask you guys: would it
be
ok if you had to mirror either all of factory or a portion of it before you
could update from your local mirror?

I think the Factory tree is rather to big for everybody just to mirror it to
install his own notebook / computer to the last factory snapshot. I normally do
this about once a week on my system. And I'm pretty sure all those
installations have a small subset of what's available in the factory tree
installed... so most likely I'm still faster updating my system, downloading
the needed RPMs using zypper/<whatever tool> than first synching the factory
tree to my system.

Should I have misunderstood something completely now, please forgive me.

Dominique