Re: [opensuse-factory] Java and flash plugins on 64 bit systems
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 16:26:12 +0100
On 2/26/2008 at 17:18, Alberto Passalacqua <alberto.passalacqua@xxxxxx>
wrote:

Il giorno mar, 26/02/2008 alle 08.37 +0100, Dominique Leuenberger ha
I actually think it's better to fix nspluginwrapper should there be a
problem. I have in plus also a VLC media player installed with a 64bit plugin
for firefox. Downgrading firefox to 32bit means, I need VLC in 32bit as
well... then I can as well just install the 32bit version of openSUSE...

That's ok, but it's always an unofficial workaround, and I would like to
avoid it in a default installation. It caused issues, and it will
probably cause again with the switch to new firefox releases

well: having firefox 32 bit, you'll just get all the multimedia users on you,
complaining that the 64bit vlc plugin, or mplayer plugin, or XYZ plugin is not
working anymore... I don't think that's a good tradeoff...

I think the way with nspluginwrapper is the way to go, and for Java push the
1.7 inside, which is rumored to work in 64bit installations... and have never
get tired of asking the proprietary providers if they would finally like to
provide 64bit applications too... I know this seems to be incredible impossible
for some companies (from patching some source I also know why)

and according flash: I actually never had a problem with it on the factory
installation... I'm frequent user of youtube and of some flash game sites..
and this seems to work fine.

Try google finance for example. I can't see plots of stocks for example.

I used that site quiet regular myself for a while... can't remember any
problems with it (but I'm also not sure if I ever tried it on the 64bit
system)... I'll give it a try this evening.. just to be sure...

Dominique