[opensuse-factory] Java and flash plugins on 64 bit systems
  • From: Alberto Passalacqua <alberto.passalacqua@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 18:38:44 -0600
I would like to re-open a quite debated question about Java and Flash
plugins on 64-bit systems.

It was already discussed in the recent past
( http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2007-09/msg00413.html ),
but no real and effective solution was found.

Considering that 64 bit systems are becoming widely adopted as notebooks
and desktops, I don't see the point of removing what was, in my opinion,
one of the advantages of using openSUSE 64 bit in comparison with other
distributions. It was the only one offering java and flash working out
of the box.

At the moment, flash plugin is supported through a plugin, which adds a
degree of complexity and doesn't reliably work (some sites just show a
white rectangle, and the plugin often freezes using a lot of CPU).

Java is not working at all.

The solution of installing firefox at 32 bit manually is just
unfriendly, for various reasons, already discussed in the previous
thread. To those, GNOME users face the difficulty of not being able to
change architecture to packages thanks to the bad designed YaST software
management interface.

I see only one reason not to ship 32 bit ffox, and it is a space
limitation on the 1 cd media, but certainly convincing SUN of releasing
a 64 bit plugin is not a task for openSUSE or Novell and it's not a
price to be paid by openSUSE users.

If there's no effective alternative to the adoption of 32-bit firefox in
11, I would really like to see it back as default.

Regards,
Alberto