Re: [opensuse-factory] Releasing openSUSE Alphas with debuginfo/symbols installed by default
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 03:24:22 +0100 (CET)

The Thursday 2008-02-14 at 00:42 +0100, Marcus Rueckert wrote:

Just sending out debuginfo packages on request would make openSUSE a
rather bad developer platform.

Not on request - on bug report if necessary.

Any real statistics over bugzilla reports could clear the view here, I'm
sure.

I really guess that almost any individual delivering a bugzilla report
would deliver it without initial access/use of a debuginfo package too,
and solutions which need debuginfo package reports would still be
achievable - just the reporting individual would need one additional step.

and again how does the developer fit into your picture? he sits at home
and debugs his app and wants the whole backtrace through all libs.
should he open a bugreport to get the required packages?

Couldn't the debug packages be put on a different server or path, one that is not normally mirrored?

I have reported bugs for final for which I needed the debug packages. And sometimes I needed the debug packages some months after the final was released, so there were no debug rpms (created, but not published). It would be good if those were available, too: but they were not because they didn't want to overload the mirrors. Therefore: put them out of mirrors reach.

Would that be possible?

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.