Re: [opensuse-factory] Alpha 2 won't install on PPC (iMAC)
  • From: Steffen Winterfeldt <snwint@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 14:20:16 +0100 (CET)
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008, Richard (MQ) wrote:

Lukas Ocilka wrote:
Richard (MQ) napsal(a):
Doing a network install on iMAC G5 (PPC), after setting up network and
FTP data, screen shows "Loading Installation System". Once loaded and
booted, hundreds of lines of errors similar to:

"/usr/lib/YaST2/startup/common/logging.sh: cut: command not found" and
"/sbin/inst_setup: line 270: awk: command not found"

Install aborts at this point.

No opportunity to set up alternate logging (e.g. to network) so logs not
available to attach.

Same machine runs 10.3 OK-ish (at least the installation works!)

Bug 360561 submitted

This might be because the installation system has been split into two
parts: 'common' and 'root' both should be available on the
network-installation repository.

Binaries 'cut' and 'awk' are (probably?) part of the 'common' piece of
installation. I had the very same issue unless I made a complete copy of
the inst-sys-images directory.

Network repository is loop-mounted DVD alpha-2 image, this certainly has
under /boot/ppc files 'root' and 'common' both containing squashfs
file-systems. Target machine only has CD (not DVD) in common with other
early iMACs.

You have to boot from an alpha2 CD. Older (e.g., alpha1, boot media will not
work).

Steffen