Re: [opensuse-factory] Firefox 64bit 32bit question (again)
  • From: Wolfgang Rosenauer <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 15:35:53 +0100
Per Jessen wrote:
Andreas Vetter wrote:

11.0 is said to be the base of SLE11. So we need a Java capable
browser on x86_64 systems. Here comes why:
Remember all those RAID arrays, tape libraries, UPS, ... requiring a
Java enabled browser to configure or administrate them. You better
don't have them in your normal net, where your workstation is, but in
a dedicated private net containing only servers. And no, I don't want
to buy an extra machine for that and install a 32bit system on it.

So please consider to supply either Firefox or Seamonkey as 32bit
packages on a x86_64 installation without the need for manually
forcing the packages (and dependencies too) from 64 to 32 bit.

I don't know the specific situation wrt Java, but have you
tried 'nspluginwrapper' ?

Does not and probably will never work with Java :-(

It's a valid complaint.
Would be nice to hear from some Java guy what's going on with Java on the 64bit front.

I think that RedHat is going for IcedTea based on OpenJDK and Classpath until OpenJDK itself is real FOSS.
( http://icedtea.classpath.org/wiki/Main_Page )

Wolfgang