Re: [opensuse-factory] Buffer Overflows
  • From: Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 22:18:15 +0100
On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 07:56:21PM +0100, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
Felix Möller wrote:
Hi,

I noticed that I am encountering a few "buffer overflows" but I don't see
any relevant reports in bugzilla, so it might be something specific to
my system. Could someone confirm before I enter a bunch of bugs?

The two executables that come to mind, are /usr/bin/dvd+rw-format
and /usr/sbin/bacula-fd but I have seen a few others as well... This is
on x86_64 with "latest" packages from Factory.

# dvd+rw-format
*** buffer overflow detected ***: dvd+rw-format terminated
I can confirm this on i586.

Please report all these bugs. They are not specific for your system.
It's an enhanced feature in the latest glibc to report possible buffer
overflows due to "bad coding". More packages could be affected and those
should be found asap.

Yes, the new thing is that the buffer overflow checking we had for C programs
now is also applied on C++ programs.

Ciao, Marcus