Re: [opensuse-factory] status report distribution week 2
  • From: Martin Schlander <suse@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 16:54:19 +0100
Den Wednesday 09 January 2008 15:41:48 skrev Ladislav Michnovič:
2008/1/9, Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx>:
- we got a roadmap for openSUSE 11.0 - next milestone alpha 1 happening
next week

I read the Roadmap at http://en.opensuse.org/Roadmap and my humble
opinion is that we should have 4 beta releases, not only 3. The point
is that many bugs are reported lately and sometimes users start to
test higher Beta release (not the first one). And those lately
reported bugs are often not really critical so they can't be fixed in
RC so they stay unfixed in final release.
I know it is probably too late to talk about this for 11.0, but we
can observe if my point is correct.

I think your point is well established, but increasing the freeze period,
while good for stability, brings other problems, like the risk of the release
being more outdated. It's a matter of striking the right balance. But maybe
it should be considered renaming the last alpha to beta0, just for the
psychological effect. Or maybe add a beta between a3 and b1.

I note that compared to 10.3 schedule there's an extra week added between rc1
and internal gm, which I think is great.

My greatest worry about the roadmap is the flexibility, in case of an early
KDE 4.1. If we release with KDE3 as "default KDE" and KDE 4.0 as an option,
Kubuntu, Mandriva and Fedora will probably kick our asses when they all
presumably release with "production ready" KDE4.x as default in the fall, and
openSUSE would have a hard time competing until 11.1 in early 2009. I hope
openSUSE 11.0 roadmap will not be set in stone until KDE 4.1 schedule is
decided.