Re: [opensuse-factory] Splitting manpages out of package is *fundamentally* wrong
  • From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 19:43:24 +0100
On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 03:26:57PM +0100, Stephan Kulow wrote:
This has nothing to do with that. The reason the docs are split out is that
PolicyKit is a pretty basic package required by many other packages for
building. And if such a basic package requires texlive to build, we have to
wait even longer before we can push out a new Factory snapshot.
So we split these basic packages with big build dependencies into two source
rpms.

Sure, but then - that's life. But if you think it that
essential/unstable - maybe the manpages should be created differently?

This does not stop anyone from adding a Recommend or even a Require
to the base package - I would suggest a Recommend, because the man page is
still only nice to have for people not wanting to use Policykit.

I strongly disagree: It's the wrong thing to do: The manpages need to be
packaged with the application. And if that can't be done, then see the
comment above. Removing the manpages is really really wrong (I may have
said that already but that's how I feel :-) and removing them from the base
package due to *build* reasons is no excuse - really:
a) the texlive should not be broken over longer periods of time anyway.
b) maybe adding pregenerated manpages to the source package would be
an acceptable solution to the problem, so a broken tex package could
be worked around in the build process by copying the pregenerated
stuff.

So just file a bug report.

To what extent? That the need to be added back or that a
require/recommend should be added - and if the latter one: where?

ciao
Joerg

--
Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>