Re: [opensuse-factory] Splitting manpages out of package is *fundamentally* wrong
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 15:26:57 +0100
Am Freitag 28 Dezember 2007 schrieb Rajko M.:
On Thursday 27 December 2007 07:22:13 pm Joerg Mayer wrote:
On Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 06:29:36PM -0600, Rajko M. wrote:
While it may in may cases be OK to not include additional
documentation in the base package, the manpages need to stay there -
no matter what that means for the build process.

So far I recall there was idea to remove documents from main package,
to make base package and whole base distro slimmer, easier to put on
CD, Live CD etc. The above excerpt is something new to me.

Removing manpages is a broken concept: They are needed to actually use
the programs. Additional documentation may well be moved into another
package, but not manpages. That's similar to removing the --help part
from the binaries to make them smaller.

I can understand that, as I am heavy user of man pages, but there was a
pressure to make distro smaller. What was behind wasn't explained, but the
goal was set to 128 MB for the very base system and AJ email appeared to be
very serious.
This has nothing to do with that. The reason the docs are split out is that
PolicyKit is a pretty basic package required by many other packages for
building. And if such a basic package requires texlive to build, we have to
wait even longer before we can push out a new Factory snapshot.

So we split these basic packages with big build dependencies into two source
rpms. This does not stop anyone from adding a Recommend or even a Require
to the base package - I would suggest a Recommend, because the man page is
still only nice to have for people not wanting to use Policykit.

So just file a bug report.

Greetings, Stephan

BTW, for guys that know how to use man pages installation of extra package
is a bit more work, but far from a problem ;-)