Re: [opensuse-factory] pulseaudio and 11.0
  • From: Wolfgang Rosenauer <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 23:02:11 +0100
Rodrigo Moya wrote:
On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 17:27 +0100, Will Stephenson wrote:
On Friday 23 November 2007, Rodrigo Moya said:
So, first, I would like people to test the packages we've built, and
second, what needs to be done to put this into the distro for 11.0? Are
KDE people aware and happy of the change?
I'm aware of it affecting gnome, but at the moment I see it as GNOME
replacing
esd. Does it have a wider impact on the distro that I'm not aware of?

I'm not aware of anyone writing a PA backend for Phonon yet.

PulseAudio replaces esd, true, but it offers many new features, not
present in arts AFAIK, that, I think, could benefit KDE also. If there
are no plans in upstream KDE, I guess we'd keep it as a GNOME thing
only, although we are going to patch some non-GNOME apps, like jack, so
I guess it would be good to be using the same sound server everywhere.

I'm still not quite sure what sound layer an application should support
in future.
I feel that applications which are no _real_ KDE or Gnome applications
shouldn't use ESD/ARTS/Pulseaudio anyway. Is that true? For example I
have no desktop environment running usually and don't plan to run
pulseaudio/arts/whatever just for one or two applications using it.

Wolfgang