Re: [opensuse-factory] Minutes from 2007-03-23 dist meeting
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 14:44:53 +0100
Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> Let's look what can be done for ntp - and later look at other
> services. Note the ntp service is also usefull for machines without
> network (serial DCF77 clock). Right now the dispatcher script sends a
> signal to ntp if the IP address changes but during boot ntp starts
> even if network is not running.
>
> Suggestion: ntp start script should figure out if NetworkManager is
> running and if it is only start if network is up - otherwise the
> dispatcher script will start it.

At home my ntpd starts up with no servers defined and the ip-up
script adds time servers via ntpdc IIRC. Requires that the local
clock is sufficiently exact though. I'm not sure if there is a way
to remove time servers from a running ntpd again though.

> Dial-in support for NetworkManager to support ISDN, Modem, UMTS, 3G
> cards is beeing worked on and should be ready for openSUSE 10.3.

Whatever that means. Does it use existing config files as created by
yast?

cu
Ludwig

--