Re: [opensuse-factory] Printing in openSUSE 10.3
  • From: Klaus Singvogel <kssingvo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 11:20:58 +0100
JP Rosevear wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 10:58 +0100, Johannes Meixner wrote:
[...]
> > Your info is too terse for me.
> > I still do not understand the end-user's situation.
> > Please do not misunderstand me - I don't want to do nitpicking.
> > But I need to understand the whole picture from the end-user's point
> > of view - otherwise whatever nice-looking implementation may not
> > solve the actual end-user problem.
>
> The situtation is the end user doesn't want to type in a password to do
> simple operations.

Sorry, but I don't understand you here. Can you please elaborate
these operations to me? What are they?

[...]
> > From my point of view all we may need is a nice GUI to set up
> > those policies in cupsd.conf - e.g. an enhancement of the CUPS
> > web-interface, see on a CUPS 1.2 system
> > http://localhost:631/admin
> > "Server"
>
> Yes, quite possibly with the policy system above. I might rather see a
> single yast module that is a starting point for various configurations
> of this type of options, ie something like:
>
> [ ] Primary user can mount removable media
> [ ] All users can mount removable media
> [ ] Primary user can add and remove printers
> [ ] All users can add and remove printers
> [ ] Primary user can install, update and remove software
> [ ] All users can install, update and remove software

I think the comparision isn't very good.

Removing media / updating software happens more recently than to
add/remove printers.

The spooling mechanism of print jobs (even printing to a printer, even
not plugged in) is an important feature which is not comparable with
the other two situations.

> Where the primary user is the first user you create. Ideally we'd be
> able to keep this hidden and have a 'Home User' vs 'Traditional Unix
> Permissions' option or something. (I'm also not sure this is actually a
> Yast module, but it will do for now as an example). This would lead
> into a nice system for things like basic parental controls.

I agree with the intention, but I'm unhappy with the qualification of
"primary user". This is not applicable when setting up a server.

Regards,
Klaus.
--
Klaus Singvogel