Re: [opensuse-factory] Printing in openSUSE 10.3
  • From: Klaus Singvogel <kssingvo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 10:58:28 +0100
JP Rosevear wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 12:33 +0100, Klaus Singvogel wrote:
> > JP Rosevear wrote:
[...]
> > > entirely impossible, there is some code in /usr/bin/add-unknown-printer
> > > (part of the gnome-volume-manager) to do some of this.
> >
> > We need to mention that the current hal backend needs to be extended
> > to satisfy the new requirements, which actual CUPS system expects
> > from backends. But it seems that upstream developers didn't work on
> > this opportunity till today.
>
> Well, it works enough to be used extensively in Fedora and Ubuntu, but
> yes it could be missing some pieces that we would need to add.

Sorry, but to my knowledge Ubuntu isn't using it anymore, due to
given reasons. They will move toward PrinterDrake in future:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrinterDrake

[...]
> > Hmm. I had a quick look at the current hal/dbus architecture. I didn't
> > see any pollin by any device so far. Instead an administration process
> > called by the hal/dbus system is executed. I'm speeking about the
> > hal-cups-utils/hal_lpadmin tools.
> > Maybe I'm wrong...
>
> I meant if we want to base the detection on the usb backend we'll need
> polling.

Sorry, but I'm not able to follow you here.

Isn't this polling/interrupt mode depending on the configured dbus/hal
callout configuration (the fdi file) and not the used cups backend?

If I understood the hal-cups-utils correctly (which Fedora is using),
then this is only a small helper tool "/usr/sbin/hal_lpadmin", which
is independend from the used cups backend. I don't see at the moment
any relationship between polling mode of dbus/hal and the used cups
backend.

The only advantage of using the hal backend is IMHO that we don't need
any additional book keeping about the used backends for configured
printer. But (!) as soon as we accept that multi function printers
have to use different backends (hplip), and which are not the hal
backend, this book keeping has to be done anyway.

So I think the hal backend isn't really helpful as soon as we need to
support additional backends anyway. And due to given reason (no
further developing upstream for new cups features, problems in the
past), I still vote not to use the hal backend as default and to use
of the usb backend instead.

Regards,
Klaus.
--