Re: [opensuse-factory] no cdrecord
  • From: Karl Eichwalder <ke@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 16:27:01 +0100
Donn Washburn <n5xwb@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hey Group;
>
> In SuSE10.3 there is no cdrecord. I guest the author of cdrecords
> message to Linux hit home. Anyway, while downloading/updating or just
> lucky I saw a note the cdrecord was being replaced. Problem is my
> memory has not locked on the new substitute. It may have been in the
> SuSE Yast Install notes
>
> A "which cdrecord", "locate cdrecord" fails to answer the question.

These tools do not opperate on the contents of files. Click 'Computer'
→ 'Search' or (old menu system) 'Places' → 'Search for Files' and enter
'cdrecord'. On my 10.2 installation, the search finds the RELEASE-NOTES
files:

New wodim Package to Write Optical Disc Media (CD-ROM and DVD)

The cdrecord package has been dropped from the distribution. The new
wodim package can be used to record data or audio CDs on a CD recorder
that conforms with the Orange Book standard or to write DVD media on a
DVD recorder.

Alternatively use growisofs for writing DVDs. The graphical front-ends
handle this transparently.

We will repeat and improve this entry for OS 10.3.

--
Karl Eichwalder
R&D / Documentation