Re: [opensuse-factory] Printing in openSUSE 10.3
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 22:24:00 +0100 (CET)

The Friday 2007-03-09 at 11:51 +0100, Johannes Meixner wrote:

> On Mar 8 10:59 JP Rosevear wrote (shortened):
> > 1) It sucks for home users to have to enter a password to
> > setup a printer.
>
> How often does a home user set up a printer?
>
> The system admin password is only needed when a new printer is
> added or the existing printer is replaced by a different model.

I have tried on my system, and I, with my user password, can add a new
printer, via cups web interface.

Maybe I have cups as too permisive, but as I'm also root and the only one
using this computer, so it doesn't matter. If I had more users, I could
modify it, I think, so that only a group of users have that privilege.

But my point is that it is possible to allow users to add new printers,
without root's password.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.