Re: [opensuse-factory] Printing in openSUSE 10.3
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 14:13:06 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Mar 9 22:17 Magnus Boman wrote (shortened):
> On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 11:51 +0100, Johannes Meixner wrote:
> >
> > How often does a home user set up a printer?
>
> When it comes to a USB printer, how about every time it's
> disconnected/connected?? I've got a HP Photosmart printer at home. If I
> configure it (with root), then I can print. But if I turn it off and
> then back on, cups will show it as online, but when I print to it,
> nothing will happen.

A bug somewhere in your hardware, in USB or in HPLIP or whatever.
A bug must be fixed where it is and not by a workaround via
re-setup every time the hardware is disconnected/connected.
For the resulting pronblems with such a re-setup, see the
previous mails in this thread.

> > A normal user can change and store his own printer specific
> > settings in his ~/.lpoptions (CUPS 1.1) or ~/.cups/lpoptions
> > (CUPS 1.2) file usually via the various printing dialog tools
> > (kprinter, gtklp, xpp, lpoptions) but not via the various
> > printer setup tools (which do the admin-related stuff).
>
> Will a normal user know about these files?

I wrote "via the various printing dialog tools".
If a normal user does not know how to use the printing dialog
tools, there is something to do on the desktop/application layer.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex