Re: [opensuse-factory] Printing in openSUSE 10.3
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 11:51:05 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Mar 8 10:59 JP Rosevear wrote (shortened):
> 1) It sucks for home users to have to enter a password to
> setup a printer.

How often does a home user set up a printer?

The system admin password is only needed when a new printer is
added or the existing printer is replaced by a different model.

A normal user can change and store his own printer specific
settings in his ~/.lpoptions (CUPS 1.1) or ~/.cups/lpoptions
(CUPS 1.2) file usually via the various printing dialog tools
(kprinter, gtklp, xpp, lpoptions) but not via the various
printer setup tools (which do the admin-related stuff).

I can only guess that printer setup which really requires the
system admin password happens about once in a year for a home user.
Does it really suck to enter a password about once in a year?

Perhaps the real cause of the problem is that normal users
can access in their desktop menues the printer setup tools
and then they think they must use them to change printer
specific settings?

> 2) Large corporate environments don't want to give out
> a root password,

This is a very valid request.

Even in a home user environment the person who works
as system admin may not want to give out his root password
for example to all members of his family.

Right now Klaus Kaempf explained the background to me:

It is not only about printing, it is a very general problem
that currently we have onyl a "either all or nothing" policy:
Either root who has unlimited permissions
or normal user who has almost no permissions.

> Klaus's role bast yast email sounds promising for this.

I think this is exactly the right direction.

In particular see my other mail from today:
Only CUPS policies are not sufficient to set up printing
in a Windows-like network printing environment where usually
printer drivers must be installed on the client system.

> > We are at a dead end when you want to pervert how printing
> > is done under Unix/Linux operating sytems (for CUPS and even
> > for the old-stlye Unix/Linux printing systems like LPR and LPRng)
> > into how printing is done under Windows (and iPrint).
>
> I personally don't think setting up cups policies that mimic "Windows or
> OS X printing permission requirements is "perverting the Unix/Linux
> way"?

It seems only a misunderstanding because of unclear words.
See my other mail from today where I explained what I mean with
Unix/Linux-like printing versus Windows/iPrint-like printing
(in the network).

Of course setting up appropriate CUPS policies is perfectly o.k.
and it has nothing to do with the fundamental difference between
Unix/Linux-like printing and Windows/iPrint-like printing.

What I want to point out is that in a big (i.e. business) network
where admins exists, there has to be a CUPS server machine
which is set up by the admins so that all Linux client systems
can immediately print without any kind of printer setup on the
Linux client systems.

Therefore all my questions about which environment you have
in mind where printer setup on client systems in a business
network (with network printers) is needed.

When there is a business customer who wants to install many SLEDs,
we should urgently recommend to set up also at least one SLES
to run a CUPS server so that for all SLEDs printing just works.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex