Re: [opensuse-factory] Boot speed and services
  • From: James Tremblay <jamesat@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 06:43:32 -0500
On Thursday 08 March 2007 05:29, Alberto Passalacqua wrote:
> Il giorno gio, 08/03/2007 alle 11.19 +0100, Martin Schlander ha scritto:
> > There's been talk about improving boot speed and stopping unnecessary
> > services from running by default.
> >
> > I believe postfix, sshd and AppArmor are not necessary on most
> > installations, I certainly always disable them.
>
> Maybe an idea is to add a list of not essential services at install
> time, where the user can decide to disable them.
>
> Something like:
>
> Services started at boot
>
> AppArmor Security Tool - Disable AppArmor
> Mail server - Disable postfix
> SSH Daemon (remote connection) - Disable sshd
>
> and so on.
>
> Regards,
> Alberto

I have said many times in many forums that I thought that there needs to be an
effort to reduce the "kitchen sink" approach of SuSE\OpenSuSE , it is
starting to appear with build patterns but needs more work .i.e. detailed
view in the installer for advanced\expert users to add those "services" they
expressly need. I hope that the Devs see this as a good thing too!
OpenSuse is the best , but it doesn't need to keep installing multiples of
everything, i.e. Krita and Gimp , for someone who wants just to check e-mail.
lighter, faster and less complicated has been my chant for three years. I am
still waiting for http://en.opensuse.org/SLICK
to come into being. I too have a box of P 1 laptops going into the trash bin.
they make great thin clients so i still use them but time is running out
because they need a wire for that job. If the education environments of the
world are to have cheap computers they are going to have small HD's and
limited ram so working to reduce the installation minimum is of high
priority.
FXRSLiberty
JT