Re: [opensuse-factory] Printing in openSUSE 10.3
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 10:57:46 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Mar 7 10:52 Robert Love wrote (shortened):
> The use case is that a standard use should (optionally) be able to
> manage his printers without requiring the administrator.

The "optionally" is the crucial word here!
The system admin (i.e. the person who set up the system)
can of course delegate his permissions and set up appropriate
stuff in cupsd.conf so that whatever users on whatever hosts
are allowed to do whatever the system admin likes,
see my mail dated 6 Mar 2007.

The crucial point is that it is under the system admin's control
who is allowed to do what and that the system admin is aware of
the consequences, for example http://www.cups.org/str.php?L790
the CUPS admin user can copy this way any printout to any place
he likes (e.g. send it via mail to any external address ...
If any user could change any print queue, any user could copy
any printout. Note the "copy" which means that it is also
correctly printed on the printer so that an innocent other user
would not notice that his printout was copied.

I assume this is not what we want to have by default to make our
customers happy in big networks with hundreds of printers ;-)

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex