Re: [opensuse-factory] Printing in openSUSE 10.3
  • From: JP Rosevear <jpr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 10:46:37 -0500
On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 16:39 +0100, Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mar 7 10:30 JP Rosevear wrote (shortened):
> > On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 10:58 +0100, Johannes Meixner wrote:
> > > Your info is too terse for me.
> > > I still do not understand the end-user's situation.
> > > Please do not misunderstand me - I don't want to do nitpicking.
> > > But I need to understand the whole picture from the end-user's point
> > > of view - otherwise whatever nice-looking implementation may not
> > > solve the actual end-user problem.
> >
> > The situtation is the end user doesn't want to type in a password
> > to do simple operations.
>
> Frommy point of viwe it seems from mail to mail
> you change the issue (it started with USB printers,
> became network printers, now it is about typing passwords)
> and it seems you still don't tell the whole story.

No, the user should not need root to include any printers, I just didn't
explicitly call out network printers to begin with and I should have.

> > > Why do you want to implement Windows-stlye printing
> > > when we use CUPS on Linux?
> >
> > Because its what most users expect and want, even many linux ones.
>
> I am afraid but it seems now we are at a dead end.

Why exactly are we at a dead end? We agreed in the dist meeting not
needing root to configure a printer was a valid use case.

-JP
--
JP Rosevear <jpr@xxxxxxxxxx>
Novell, Inc.