Re: [opensuse-factory] Are we supposed to be moving this fast?
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 09:55:29 -0800
On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 06:37:33PM +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
> Greg KH wrote:
>
> > All that is "involved" is the fact that HAL is not doing anything with
> > ISA so you have to add the line to your modprobe file on your own.
> > That's a perfictly acceptable work-around.
>
> Absolutely.
>
> > So, are we going too fast? Well, people with new hardware don't think
> > so, as there is a constant pressure from them to support their new
> > kit. But for older things, like ISA, the developers upstream simply do
> > not even have access to it. I suggest offering them code or hardware
> > to help change this.
>
> We can certainly offer the hardware - can you suggest someone I might
> want to get in touch with?

The HAL project is located at:
http://hal.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fhal

I suggest you contact them.

> Personally, I think the project is moving too fast when production
> hardware is being left behind.

Note, this is not something specific to opensuse, but to the whole Linux
ecosystem. We are relying on a upstream development project here. So
to single out opensuse is a bit unfair, you are going to have the same
problem on gentoo or ubuntu or fedora too.

thanks,

greg k-h