Re: [opensuse-factory] Printing in openSUSE 10.3
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 10:58:00 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Mar 5 13:09 JP Rosevear wrote (shortened):
> On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 15:30 +0100, Johannes Meixner wrote:
> >
> > What about
> > http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
> > "Intrinsic design of CUPS for printing in the network"
> >
> > What is the original end-user requirement behind?
>
> The original requirement is two fold
>
> 1) Ease of use for end users
>
> It works perfectly fine on Windows XP and OS X to browse network
> printers and print to one without requiring admin privileges.

Your info is too terse for me.
I still do not understand the end-user's situation.
Please do not misunderstand me - I don't want to do nitpicking.
But I need to understand the whole picture from the end-user's point
of view - otherwise whatever nice-looking implementation may not
solve the actual end-user problem.

What do you mean with "browse network printers" here?
Browse the raw printers or browse associated SMB shares
(or whatever kind of associated print queues)?

Did you read
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
"Intrinsic design of CUPS for printing in the network"?
When there is a CUPS server, there is _nothing_ to be set up
at all on the client systems, see
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
"Configuration of the clients"
Start cupsd.
Under normal circumstances, you should not configure
anything else, especially
* no local queues on clients and
* no changes in the default settings for cupsd on clients.

Why do you want to implement Windows-stlye printing
when we use CUPS on Linux?

Or is there a special end-user environment why we need
to do Windows-stlye printing even with CUPS on Linux?

Perhaps you are talking about a user with a Linux laptop
or Linux workstation in a Windows-only environment?

> 2) Restricting root access for admins
>
> Admins want to allow straightforward operations like changing the
> wireless network or adding a printer without giving out the full root
> password (which allows things like installing new packages)

Why cannot the admin set up appropriate stuff in cupsd.conf
so that whatever users on whatever hosts are allowed to do
whatever he likes?

Why should we implement something anew when from my point of view
everything is (and was) already implemented in CUPS?

Since CUPS 1.2 there are even fine-grained policies, see
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/ref-cupsd-conf.html
"Policy" and "Limit (Policy)"

>From my point of view all we may need is a nice GUI to set up
those policies in cupsd.conf - e.g. an enhancement of the CUPS
web-interface, see on a CUPS 1.2 system
http://localhost:631/admin
"Server"

Kind Regards