Re: [opensuse-factory] Update policy, Seamonkey and OpenOffice.org
  • From: "Terje J. Hanssen" <nteknikk@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 15:07:22 +0100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> The Sunday 2007-03-04 at 20:26 +0100, Marcus Meissner wrote:

> >> Are there any chances that updates for Seamonkey and OpenOffice will
> >> become available for openSUSE?
> > OpenOffice 2.0.4 will likely stay for openSUSE 10.2, since we do not
> > do version upgrades (if not absolutely necessary).
>
> How about:
>
> <ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/ftp.suse.com/projects/OpenOffice.org/10.2-i386/2.1-0.1>
>
> They are prepared by Petr Mladek, I think. I haven't installed them yet,
> it's on my to-do list.

Indeed I already had installed OpenOffice 2.1 rpms on openSUSE 10.2 by
downloading and unpacking OOo_2.1.0_LinuxIntel_install_en-US.tar.gz
directly from http://www.openoffice.org/
This wasn't the Novell Edition with the Novell extensions (mono, agfa
fonts etc).

After the suggestion from Peter Buschbacheropening yesterday, I search
around without finding the OpenOffice project on opensuse.org. However,
confusing enough (as previous discussed on this forum), I happened to
find the OpenOffice 2.1 rpms instead on
ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/ftp.suse.com/projects/

I've deleted my first installation above and replaced it a new
installation by the latter 2.1 Novell editon.

However, I became unsure if the OpenOffice Quickstarter is the same in
the two editions. On the OpenOffice Edition, the icon for the OpenOffice
Quickstarter menu at right on the Gnome panel, looked like the Writer
icon as shown on http://www.openoffice.org/

No Quickstarter was automatically added on the Gnome panel during the
Novell Edition installation (maybe this didn't happend automatically
during the first installation either, but it bacame permanent on the
panel).

However there is a package OpenOffice_org-Quickstarter-1.0-514 which can
be started with the command /opt/kde3/bin/oooqs

Because this command temporary adds the previous (old) K-icon on the
Gnome panel instead, I became unsure if this is the same quickstarter as
used by the OpenOffice edition? (yes, I know Novell else has changed the
OOo applications square icons to round icons). Wasn't there a Gnome OOo
applet also?

Rgds,
Terje