Re: [opensuse-factory] OpenSUSE, bugs and some considerations
  • From: Francis Giannaros <francisg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 12:43:03 +0000
On Saturday 03 March 2007 12:20:35 Alberto Passalacqua wrote:
> Not sure. A single bug day is more a formal than a productive action in
> my opinion. It might work for single applications, but for a big
> distribution as SUSE it risks not to produce the desired results.

Mozilla, KDE, and Ubuntu (they also have bug days) are not small projects.
Mozilla's bugtracker has had around 100,000 more bugs (more than 50% more,
that is) reported in it than the Novell bugzilla has, just as an example. :)

And, really, regardless of what you suggest, bug triaging days/weekends have
_proven_ to be productive. Hundreds of bugs get closed, dealt with,
addressed, and you get an in-general better cleanup. This makes it easier for
devs and packagers to concentrate directly on what needs to be dealt with,
too, what's outstanding, etc.

> I think the current testing methods are not far from what is needed.
> Probably a stricter communication between developers, community and
> users is the most important thing to work on.

Agreed; especially if it is a chance for the community people to get directly
involved.

Kind thoughts,
--
Francis Giannaros